Oral hygiene is an essential aspect of our lives. That’s why here at Seaside Dentistry in Jupiter, Florida – we’re kicking off a series of short articles to keep you informed and up to speed on how to care for your teeth. Dr. Pare will be taking you through a list of tools first, all essential as a part of maintaining excellent oral health.
“There are essential “tools” for the job of dental care. Just like you have tools to cook or clean or take care of your hair. We have compiled a list of seven important dental hygiene materials you must have at home. Take a read and let us know how you care for your oral health.” said Dr. Pare of Seaside Dentistry serving Palm Beach County and Martin County, Florida.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Before selecting any dental product, keep an eye out for the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance. The seal proves that the content and claims on the package and label are accurate.
The following are seven important tools for adequate oral hygiene:
1. Toothbrushes – Regardless of the type of toothbrush, you should ensure it has a size and shape that fits your mouth properly to make brushing easy and comfortable. Keep in mind that electric toothbrushes clean teeth and gums better than manual toothbrushes. It is important to change your brush head at least every 3 months.
2. Toothpaste – When choosing toothpaste, ensure it contains fluoride and has a low abrasive rating to keep the teeth strong and healthy against dental decay.
3. Dental Floss – Dental experts recommend flossing once or twice daily to clean the teeth of debris that may not be removable by brushing.
4. Dental Picks and Sticks – If using dental floss is difficult, you can still use interdental cleaning aids to eliminate plaque.
5. Mouthwash – If brushing and flossing are inconvenient, alcohol-free mouthwash offers an extra level of protection. While it is not a replacement for daily brushing and flossing, use of mouthrinse may be a helpful addition to the daily oral care.
6. Oral Irrigators – The device shoots a continuous stream of water into the mouth to remove food debris in inaccessible areas of your teeth.
7. Tongue Scrapers – This helps to reduce bad breath by eliminating the odor-causing bacteria on the tongue.
These dental tools are great but should not make you forget that a dentist appointment is essential. Ensure you visit Seaside Dentistry at least twice a year for dental checkups. We care for patients from Hobe Sound to Palm Beach, Florida.
Request an appointment here: or call Seaside Dentistry at or an appointment in our Jupiter, Florida office.